Saturday 6 June 2015

Gary & Arnies 69k trek - Full Pack Test

Today I needed to get a decent training walk in with full kit.  I haven't got all kit yet but loaded up with what I have. Existing sleeping bag and blowup mat will be replaced with lighter smaller versions saving 1.6kg.

So set off with backpack weighing in at around 18kg including 3ltr water hydration pack.  Its damm heavy to put on and I obviously haven't got the knack yet but we'll get there.

Fat old git with Back Pack

Our route was one we have done many times before and has the added benefit of a pub at half way. so over Chertsey bridge and left past Chertsey lock and basically follow the Thames path towards Staines.

You can find the route here if really interested   http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/1017325889

Was really feeling it in my hips and had to stop every mile ish for a 5min sit on a bench.  Arnie was having great fun smelling smells, doing doggy things and wondering why I kept stopping. After what seemed like far to long the public house sign loomed in front of us so we headed of right away from the river to the Wheatsheaf and Pigeon. They have 4 real ales on normally and good food so worth a visit.  They were also voted  
WINNER OF THE RIVER THAMES GUIDE "BEST THAMES LOCAL" PUB 2014/15
So its not just me.  http://www.wheatsheafandpigeon.co.uk/ 

Had a well earned Doombar, cheeseburger and chips and a pint of Otter as well.  I missed an opportunity to talk to a professional back packer, when an army guy came and helped me get pack on in the pub, when we were leaving.  Wish Id asked him if it looked like I had pack set right, kicking myself now.

The beer didn't help with reducing the aching hips on the way back but we got there again stopping about every mile.  Arnie ran out of steam around Laleham area and started lagging behind.  I put him on lead and he started pulling me along, lol.  we made it back at 2010.

Arnie was a bit whiny in evening although that's not unusual. He was also a bit stiff and limping back left leg.  As for me hips are feeling it and neck felt a bit stiff on left side but altogether not too bad.

[Update next morning]
Arnie is not limping so that's good, although may need to reconsider daily distances and rest times. I'm aching a little bit but nothing major.

No comments:

Post a Comment